Waipipi School

ROOM 8       2020

Welcome to the Room 8 Class Page!

Nationwide Isolation 

Hello, Room 8 Whanau!

Welcome to a significant event in New Zealand history. Your actions during this isolation period are contributing to the safety of your fellow New Zealanders. 

We are united in this isolation. While we may be physically isolated, we are not socially isolated. We are lucky to be able to stay in touch through technology. I will be available via school email, class dojo, our school website and the comment section of your google docs. 

Keep me updated with letters, photos and/or videos of your work and home activities!

Stay safe, stay happy, stay connected and stay at home! 
Be patient and kind to others.

Take care of yourselves. 

I wish you and your families all the best in the upcoming weeks. 

Kind regards, 
Miss Lyford

Home Learning

Please help your child set up a personal gmail account. Once this is set up and shared with me, I will send them an individual copy of the home learning google slide. Here, they can complete work and share evidence of their learning, which I can view, assist them with and mark. They have tasks assigned for each day of the week here for reading and writing. 

Check your email for an invitation to join our Class Dojo page.
Access the Class Dojo app here - Class Dojo

The tabs to the left include daily worksheets for mathematics, writing, and reading.
There is also a tab for work around year 8 languages, careers education, and digital technology tasks. 

In addition, I have left a few ideas below for other online home-learning options. 

Twinkl is an amazing website. It has a wide variety of work that is leveled and links to our New Zealand curriculum. They are offering 1 month free site acess.

Online Literacy Activities

Reading:
Kiwikidsnews - a site where students can read national and international new articles across a range of genres.
Storyline - a site where students can listen and read along to popular childrens books, read to them by celebrities. 
School Journals Online - Some of these have audio as well as a PDF copy of the book. Search a topic or genre you are interested in and find a text to read! The Junior Journal tap is a great one to look at if you would like some easier texts or stories to read to younger siblings. 

Writing:
Pobble 365 - This site includes beautiful images and writing prompts. It has a variety of tasks for students.
Literacy Shed - This site has exciting writing prompts and lessons. It is designed as a teacher resource, so this is a site that parents may need to guide students through. 

Online Mathematics Activities

MathsAid.com - This website allows you to create worksheets across all strands and levels of mathematics. It is very user-friendly. Simply search the topic you wish to practise (e.g. basic facts), find a worksheet that suits you, enter the details (some worksheets give you the option to limit question difficulty, the number of questions per page etc.) and then hit 'download'. Each sheet is unique and randomly generated. They will have an answer sheet attached at the bottom to check your work.

Mathletics - We are currently reasigning students to Miss Lyford, so there will not be assigned work on these accounts for a few days while we get this sorted.